Vitamin D supplementation may be useful in hypercholesterolemia patients with vitamin D insufficiency who are at high risk of cardiovascular diseases.

Vitamin D supplementation may be useful in hypercholesterolemia patients with vitamin D insufficiency who are at high risk of cardiovascular diseases.

PMID: 

Nutr Rev. 2019 Aug 13. Epub 2019 Aug 13. PMID: 31407792

Abstract Title: 

Effect of vitamin D supplementation on serum lipid profiles: a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Abstract: 

CONTEXT: Vitamin D deficiency is highly prevalent across the world. The existing evidence suggests vitamin D may have beneficial effects on serum lipid profiles and thus cardiovascular health.OBJECTIVE: The objective of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to examine the effect of vitamin D supplementation on serum lipid profiles.DATA SOURCE: Original randomized controlled trials (RCTs) examining the effect of vitamin D supplementation on serum lipid profiles and published before July 2018 were identified by searching online databases, including PubMed, Google Scholar, and ScienceDirect, using a combination of relevant keywords.DATA EXTRACTION: Data on study characteristics, effect size, measure of variation, type of vitamin D supplementation, and duration of follow-up were extracted by the author.DATA ANALYSIS: PRISMA guidelines for systematic reviews were followed. Random effects (DerSimonian and Laird [D-V)] models were used to pool standardized mean differences in total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and triglycerides between the active and the placebo arms of RCT studies. Between-study heterogeneities were assessed using Cochrane Q and I2, and publication bias was assessed using Begg's test, Egger's test, and funnel plot.RESULTS: A total of 41 RCTs comprising 3434 participants (n = 1699 in the vitamin D supplementation arm and n = 1735 in the placebo arm) were identified and included in the meta-analysis. Approximately 63.4% of study participants were women, with 14 studies conducted entirely among women. Approximately 24% of the trials had follow-up duration>6 months, whereas the remaining 76% had follow-up duration of

read more

11
Like
Save

Comments

Write a comment

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.